Monday 6 September 2010

Day 5 - BIOY

Genesis 9:18-11:9

What did Ham do that was so terrible?

He saw that his father was naked and drunk in the tent - the reason this was so bad was because of the culture at the time. Nakedness was shameful, and also the fact that he did nothing about it, but instead went and told his brothers. However they showed their father respect by covering him up, and making sure they did not seem him naked.

There is also an intriguing memory in the back of my mind about who it was that was shamed by the nakedness - was it Noah, or was it Ham? I think we did a little thing about this in a youth group a while back and it was suggested that it was Ham who was shamed by seeing the nakedness - I think it was based on the book 'Storylines' - not sure. Any ideas?

Why did Noah curse Canaan rather than Ham when he found out what Ham did?

At the time your descendants were considered very important - they were the ones who carried your bloodline, so by cursing them, Noah not only cursed Ham but his whole line of descendants.

Matthew 4:23-5:20

The Beatitudes

Would be very interesting to memorise these I think, I like this whole series of 'Blessed are those...' it's quite enlightening.

Favourite bit - Matthew 5:13-16

You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.
You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

This reminds me of a wonderful little boy that I used to know, who sadly died a couple of years ago, aged only 6. His favourite song was 'This Little Light of Mine', and whenever I hear it I think of him. He is an inspiration to me even though I didn't know him for very long. I hope he's enjoying spending time with Jesus :), and I hope he's still singing.

Psalm 4:1-8

Favourite bit - Psalm 4:8

I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.

----------------------------------------------------------

Transferred comments:


Something I read recently - possibly in my devotional or possibly n 'Sex God' (Rob Bell) ... anyway, pointed out that salt is an antiseptic as well as a flacouring (and was used as such at the time of Christ). So as well as adding taste to life, it also makes it clean ... which was something I hadn't heard of before. I thought that was something to ponder.

Posted by: Jingle Bella


Ooh, yes, I think I heard that somewhere too. Possibly Momentum. Tis goodly...

Posted by: Hazelnut

No comments:

Post a Comment