Sunday 26 September 2010

Day 26 - BIOY

Teehee, Andy dressed as Mike...

Why was Satan with the angels, coming to talk to God?


A suggestion from the blog:

Posted by Calum
When Job was written, the name ‘Satan’ was not seen as the devil or anything like that. That’s a much later development in Judeo-Christian theology. Here, whoever Satan is is just portrayed as a particularly cunning member of the heavenly court.

Some comments I found interesting:

Posted by Mummy Snuggs
There is an old saying, which I think may be of Jewish origin, “God never gives you a problem you can’t handle”. And today’s reading from Job seems to agree, as God knew that Satan was going to give someone a load of grief and cause a load of trouble, and he knew that Job, being “upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil” would be able to bear the suffering that was coming. As a little girl I thought God, for some reason, had to let Satan put a certain amount of suffering in the world at any one time, so if something bad was happening to me, it made someone else’s suffering less. And as I grew up, I chose to look at it this way – if God is allowing me to have this much trouble in my life, he must think I am strong enough to deal with it, he won’t let it get too much for me so long as I lean on him, and this much aggravation must mean he thinks I’m awesome! People who appear to have trouble free lives are that way because God knows they couldn’t handle real problems.

So don’t envy those who seem to have almost ‘blessed’ lives, pray for them to grow stronger so they can join with the rest of us, showing Satan that faith in the Lord can overcome what ever troubles the Lord allows him to put on us.

Posted by Fiona
I got my pastor really worried when I was becoming a Christian at 23, because the first book I read was Job. He asked ‘why?’ and said I should rather read John. “Well,” I said, “If I’m going to get into this thing, I need to know how bad it can get.”

Some Matt Redman songs I remembered when reading these passages...

Job 1:21 - "The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be saved."

Reminded me of: 'Blessed be your name'



Psalm 16:8 - "I have set the Lord always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken."

Reminded me of: ' We shall not be shaken'

No comments:

Post a Comment